Re: Basic Emulation Defaults

Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Whoa, oops. I wasn't being condescending towards you! :)

Alright, if no offence was intended, none is taken.  But the wording ("We're
not here to make users of <insert the unfree OS you've just been unchained
from> comfortable, we're here to make all users comfortable.") did sound
suspicously like being called a newbie in a mean way :-)

> I'm sure we'll come up with a good set of defaults, so is it preferable to
> allow the use of totally duplicated "legacy" platform settings, or to stake
> a claim for our own (hopefully utterly brilliant) settings?

Well, why go reinventing the wheel?  For example, the ctrl+insert,
shift+insert, and shift+delete short cuts for copy, insert, and cut make
sense when you're in a situation where you can't use the 'normal' ctrl+c,
ctrl+v, ctrl+x (and equivalent on MacOS).  Ctrl+C, for example, could have
.. unsuspected effects to someone who has never used a prompt before ;)
It'd be best to choose appropriate defaults.  And I think that's a decision
that the distributions would best make.
--
    www.kuro5hin.org -- technology and culture, from the trenches.