Re: Basic Emulation Defaults

Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > Yikes, I can see where this could get interesting real fast. I guess if
> > something like this were to be done, it'd probably need an item in the
> > Control Center for configuration?
> Here's something that could be useful: A setting in the Control Centre for
> selecting default values based on emulation of various systems, ie. MacOS,
> Windows, Motif, etc.

Perhaps we should also expand the hotkey configuration such that the window
managers are aware of it.  That way, the end user need not learn each Window
manager's different config files or programs.  The Windows|OS/2 one, for
example, would have alt+f4 for closing windows.  IceWM has a good list of
keyboard shortcuts for OS/2 and Windows (as well as look & feel).

> Two issues:
> 1) Desktops can then have markedly different settings, which may be awkward
> for users who are configuration junkies (read: most users).

What do you mean?

> 2) It's certainly not a "This is GNOME(/GTK), this is how it works" kind of
> statement. Going down the compatibility for the sake of compatibility path
> sounds decidedly OS/2. :)

Yeah, right now GTK is rather.. hardcoded in its keyboard shortcuts.  And
they're a random mix of EMACS and Windows ones to boot (now /that's/
unuasablility at its worst!).

--
    www.kuro5hin.org -- technology and culture, from the trenches.