Re: A call to action

Arlo Rose wrote:

> Jorg Rathlev said:
>
> > MS gives guidance about UI design to developers, they've published a book
> > called "The Windows Interface Guidelines for Software Design". It's actually
> > not a bad book - though the Apple guidelines are slightly better.
>
> I apologize for not responding to this thread earlier, but I've been busy
> with a design disaster of my own.
>
> I am currently working on writing an equivalent to the above two documents
> for the GNOME developer community.
>
> As soon as I have more time, I'll begin to publish the chapters as I finish
> them as a retrofit of the current GNOME UI Guideline document checked into
> CVS (which I maintain, but have yet to touch since becoming maintainer.)
>
> For those of you have don't know my background, I've been doing professional
> Human Interface work for around eleven years.  My flagship project was the
> the transition from System 7 to Mac OS 8 at Apple.  I worked with end users
> and developers on what the best set of widgets and APIs would be, and with a
> documentation group to make my internal HI specifications into the
> publishable Human Interface Guidelines for Mac OS 8.
>
> Sadly, there's too much for me to do getting Nautilus 1.0 into shape at
> Eazel to focus on general GNOME UI issues, but I guarantee in the coming
> months I'll rectify that and become far more involved.

Arlo,

I posted some stuff at LDP about improving the LDP system and got a few
comments that I had not thought about.  While I wouldn't be like the one
person who slammed dunk me for putting up a "trashy" white paper
proposal together, it did give those who weren't curmudgeons a chance at
contributing to the design early in it's stages AND could learn from me
what I was doing.  Would you do the same for us?  Of course, when you
have time ;-)  My Masters thesis was on process improvement and seeing
how the IT industry is behind the auto industry in quality improvment,
I'm willing to contribute to make it better.

Check out this article for what I referring to:

http://www2.linuxjournal.com/articles/currents/019.html

Kevin Cullis
Denver, CO
begin:vcard
n:Cullis;Kevin
tel;home:720-489-9283
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;8285 S Poplar Way #202;Englewood;CO;80112;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:kevincu orci com
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Kevin Cullis