Re: A call to action

Jorg Rathlev said:

> MS gives guidance about UI design to developers, they've published a book
> called "The Windows Interface Guidelines for Software Design". It's actually
> not a bad book - though the Apple guidelines are slightly better.

I apologize for not responding to this thread earlier, but I've been busy
with a design disaster of my own.

I am currently working on writing an equivalent to the above two documents
for the GNOME developer community.

As soon as I have more time, I'll begin to publish the chapters as I finish
them as a retrofit of the current GNOME UI Guideline document checked into
CVS (which I maintain, but have yet to touch since becoming maintainer.)

For those of you have don't know my background, I've been doing professional
Human Interface work for around eleven years.  My flagship project was the
the transition from System 7 to Mac OS 8 at Apple.  I worked with end users
and developers on what the best set of widgets and APIs would be, and with a
documentation group to make my internal HI specifications into the
publishable Human Interface Guidelines for Mac OS 8.

Sadly, there's too much for me to do getting Nautilus 1.0 into shape at
Eazel to focus on general GNOME UI issues, but I guarantee in the coming
months I'll rectify that and become far more involved.

Cheers,
Arlo Rose
Eazel, Inc.