RE: Weighing in and other thoughts about recent discussions (fwd)

> > However, the save dialog is mearly a file open dialog with the
> word "save"
> > swapped with the word "open."  The user is _still_ shown with the nicely
> <snip>
> > directory before you put a new file in?  I don't.  It's irrelevant what
> > other files are in a folder to my decision on where to put a new file.
>
> BRRZT! :)  Wrong.  Seeing the list of existing files is useful if I
> need to know the name of a file which I'm replacing, or one I'm
> making a new version of.  (Did I call it "big_spaceship.png" or was
> it "spaceship_big.png"?  I need to know to make sure that I call my
> small spaceship image in a consistent way.)

Yes. That's why I included an option to display the list in my save dialog
mockup (which by default displays only a folder selection box and a filename
box). I'm not satisfied with how it looks, but I think the idea is a good
one. (http://www.jrsoftware.de/gnome-gui/save-dialog.png)

BTW, I think apple is designing two different dialogs for MacOS X. At least
their save dialog seems to contain only a folder selection box, a filename
box and an option whether or not to save a preview (which is probably
application specific - ... yes, I took some of the ideas for my mockup from
the Apple design). Don't know what that extra button next to the folder
selection is - maybe a button to get an extended version of the dialog?
(http://www.apple.com/macosx/images/macosx_save.jpg - sorry, didn't find a
bigger screenshot)

Jorg