RE: Copy-Paste between filemanager and document editor

> Clipboard functions (Cut, Copy, Paste) and Drag and drop are the basic
> functions to move information in applications and between applications.
> Why couldn't these features be implemented to work between filemanger
> (gmc, nautilus, etc) and document applications (ABI-word, etc.). When I
> see an image file in nautilus as a thumbnail, why couldn't I just
> copy-paste it into abiword within a text.
>
> This doesn't work even in Microsoft products. Dnd of image file from
> filemanager to Word results an ICON to appear into word!

It works on my system (Win 2000, Office 2000, Bitmap file). If it doesn't on
yours, try dragging with the right mouse button, you'll see a menu asking
you what to do. Even copy / paste works.

Actually I never tried to do this before, I prefer using the "insert image"
dialog. But it's certainly a nice feature, especially if the file manager
shows a preview image.

> Or even wise versa: I have a nice picture in a document and I want to
> save it as it is. Copy-paste it into filemanager and the filemanager
> displays a dialog which asks for image name and file format.

Sounds nice. It should work not only with pictures. If I paste some text
into my file manager, it should ask me to save it in a text file (plain or
formatted, whatever the source was).

> I think this is an essential feature towards document centric approach.

It's not essential, but if it's possible, it should be done.

Jorg