RE: Weighing in and other thoughts about recent discussions (fwd)

> > > However, the save dialog is mearly a file open dialog with the
> > word "save"
> > > swapped with the word "open."  The user is _still_ shown with
> the nicely
> > <snip>
> > > directory before you put a new file in?  I don't.  It's
> irrelevant what
> > > other files are in a folder to my decision on where to put a new file.
> >
> > BRRZT! :)  Wrong.  Seeing the list of existing files is useful if I
> > need to know the name of a file which I'm replacing, or one I'm
> > making a new version of.  (Did I call it "big_spaceship.png" or was
> > it "spaceship_big.png"?  I need to know to make sure that I call my
> > small spaceship image in a consistent way.)

Well, I'm not saying the only way around the problem is removing it, you
could make it smaller or put it one level down, just like...

> Yes. That's why I included an option to display the list in my save dialog
> mockup (which by default displays only a folder selection box and
> a filename
> box). I'm not satisfied with how it looks, but I think the idea is a good
> one. (http://www.jrsoftware.de/gnome-gui/save-dialog.png)

Scanning though all those e-mails, I didn't see that mockup the first time.
I'm quite embarassed that I saw the open dialogs on that e-mail, but I
missed your save dialog.  Very nice though.  I was thinking along those
lines...and I like the little note message about a file already existing.
If I have time, I'll think something up also.

On a separate note, I think we should make a general rule not to discuss
implementation...this is a GUI list, after all.  Leave the code to the great
GNOME/Eazel programmers.

Wonderful!

Gerry Chu
gerrychu@bigfoot.com