Helix GNOME 1.2 install

I have D/L'd and installed Helix GNOME 1.2 on my system.  I am running Caldera 2.4 which uses LILO and a graphical interface to load either Linux or Windows.  When I select Linux it goes thru the system checks and automatically tries to load KDE but since I have installed GNOME I get several lines of the following: "/bin/sh: /etc/rc.d/rc.gui: cannot execute binary file" followed by: "INIT: Id 'gu' respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes."  Then the system freezes for 5 minutes and it tries it again with the same error messages.

I can get in to use a vi editor but there is nothing in the rc.gui file except  ^@  on the first line.

1. I need to reconfigure the auto load feature from KDE to GDM and
2. If GNOME is looking for rc.gui then I obviously have a corrupt file and to somehow get a good one.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Don