Re: Tab as completion shortcut

Christian Rose wrote:
> I agree. Since not everybody could agree on, or feel comfortable with, a
> particular keyboard shortcut, I think it's a great idea to make it
> user-definable (probably by a section in the control panel or so). That
> configurability doesn't take away the need for a sensible default,
> however.

Good default is needed, as always.

> The problem with definable keyboard shortcuts in GNOME would probably be
> the interaction with the window manager in that aspect. Window managers
> like to set and define the keyboard shortcuts for interacting with
> windows themselves.
>
> I think the best solution would be to force the ability to select/define
> the important window manager shortcuts from inside GNOME, and not only
> the window managers preferences, to be part of the window manager "GNOME
> compability" standard. That way, there would be no conflicts with the
> window manager shortcuts. Comments?

This is the question how applications collaborate in sharing
configuration
information. Window manager is a application as others, for
configuration,
it just happens to manage root window, so the confilts are obvious.

Currenly used window managers are foregn code (ie. not gtk), so some
kind
of adapter is needed, either from gnome to window manager or from window
manager to gnome, as the sawfish now does when applying gtk theme.

--
email: Petri.Heinila@lut.fi
  www: http://www.lut.fi/~hevi/