Re: Tab as completion shortcut

> > > You know, it would be nice if the keystroke was user-specifiable.  I
> > > just realized that I'd really like M-/ as a completion keystroke
> > > (since it matches an Emacs completion method) but I realize that
> > > probably wouldn't be good for most people.
> > >

> > Bash uses Tab for autocompletion. I think that would be a good key to
use,
> > as it doesnt seem to bother anyone. (even if it _is_ a valid filename
> > chcracter).
>
> Yes, it bothers. See previous recent messages to this list. Tab is in
> GUIs used to cycle the focus between widgets. I don't think that making
> the file dialog behave entirely different than all other dialogs in that
> aspect is a good idea.
>
> Also, almost all Tab key combos are "taken" as standard key combos for
> cycling between windows or widgets in different ways etc, which is the
> reason why there was a common feeling for scrapping a Tab key combo
> altogether and use something different.
> Ctrl + space turned out to be a good and different key combo example, as
> the only drawback appears to be that noone has heard about it before or
> knows it from some other UI, which is both good and bad (good in the
> sense that we won't interfere with other behavior, bad in the sense that
> users have to learn a new combo).

What about this: In the file name box, hitting tab once would auto-complete.
Hitting tab less than .5 seconds (or some other timeout value) would cause
the focus change. Also, hitting tab within .5 seconds of focusing on the
widget would also change focus to the next widget.

This would allow the use of tab for auto-completion and for focus changing
witout too much interference.

--Ben