Re: First UI component needing replacement.

"Michael T. Babcock" wrote:
> That's why I suggested checkboxes; to _remove_ redundancy.  We have two
> selection metaphors right now -- a checkbox/radio button (these look similar
> and act similarly) and the highlighting system (Which looks and acts
> entirely differently).  I don't see the need for both, and the former pair
> makes a lot more sense to keep over the latter.  If highlighting helps, then
> highlight selections as well -- but checkboxes have been _the_ way to show a
> selection on most platforms for a long time with the sole exception of file
> listings.

Checkboxes work fine for a limited number of items in a well defined
space.
They are just not suited for file requesters.
It will remain a mystery to me why selecting a file would translate
into highlighting plus ticking a checkbox, and still not be a redundant
mechanism.
Well, I guess we'd better agree to disagree ;-)