Re: First UI component needing replacement.

"Michael T. Babcock" wrote:
> You're making the assumption that everyone knows that a highlight is the
> selection indicator.  You're also making the assumption that those people
> like that.  I'm assuming that millions of people will use a computer this
> year for the first time and they don't care what a highlight is until
> they're told to care.  Lets work with new metaphors where they are more
> useful.
>
> Scanning for a checkbox is very simple, especially if done right.  The point
> was more one of being able to select and unselect items easily, and no, I
> will NEVER condone forcing people to use the keyboard and the mouse at the
> same time to do an action; they should be able to choose.  Ctrl-Click,
> therefore, is out the window in my opinion.  If there is no way for your
> metaphor to be done mouse-only, then its broken.  (That's why the XMMS
> behaviour has been cited).

I think his point was that highlights are far more visible than
checkboxes, and I agree with that.

> No, I'm not.  Because in a single-file operating mode, a single click,
> without CTRL, is all that is necessary to properly select a file for
> opening.
If the program accepts multiple files, then the dialog box
should allow to select the files the user is interested in just
with a succession of single clicks.
Keyboard modifiers should only be necessary to perform complex
operations such as selecting a range of files, etc...