Re: First UI component needing replacement.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fabrice Colin" <fabrice.colin@muscat.com>

> "Michael T. Babcock" wrote:
> I think his point was that highlights are far more visible than
> checkboxes, and I agree with that.

My original message included that I thought having both a checkbox and a
highlight was the correct way to go as the checkbox is an obvious metaphor
to most people, and the highlight helps the visual searching.  Note: Windows
uses a dotted outline around the currently selected highlighted item in a
multi-highlight situation.

> > No, I'm not.  Because in a single-file operating mode, a single click,
> > without CTRL, is all that is necessary to properly select a file for
> > opening.
> If the program accepts multiple files, then the dialog box
> should allow to select the files the user is interested in just
> with a succession of single clicks.
> Keyboard modifiers should only be necessary to perform complex
> operations such as selecting a range of files, etc...

Very true -- in fact, Windows 95, etc. even managed to include multi-file
select with just the mouse as long as you can figure out drawing a box
around them.