Re: First UI component needing replacement.

Alan Shutko wrote:
> Are you terribly wedded to the multicolumn file listings?  I
> absolutely abhor them.  Making someone scan up and down and
> right-to-left to find a file is a pain.  And when it's further
> implemented with horizontal scrolling, it's very hard to find
> anything.

I'm not wedded  to it at all.  I just wanted a wider default column for
filenames.  As well as an easy way to resize both

> You'll notice that lists in print rarely have multicolumn treatments
> like that if people are intended to find anything in them.  Scanning
> from top to bottom is quick and easy for a person to do, and I don't
> see any reason to include the icky windows default.

Accepted.  It seems logical.

> Furthermore, if you're columnating like Windows, a single long
> filename will make really wide columns, removing the virtue of having
> multiple columns on screen.

That's the windows implementation.  Don't limit your thoughts about how it
will work to conventional BAD coding :-)

> If you keep the multicolumn side-scrolling horror, please make an
> entry in the Gnome->UI control panel to set the default to detailed
> mode or something.  I _hate_ side-scrolling, and I want to be able to
> make it go away completely in my use.

Actually, based on the strength of your arguments, I'm inclined to agree
with you.

--
    www.kuro5hin.org -- technology and culture, from the trenches.