Re: File dialog (was: Re: First UI component needing replacement.)

Christian Rose wrote:

> Dylan Griffiths wrote:
> > For the first component to be replaced, I have decided that the
> > horrible son-of-Motif GTK+ file dialogs must go.  I have made a mockup of a
> > proper file dialog, available here:
> > http://www.thock.com/Dylan/new_dialog.jpg
>
> I think that there have already been some good suggestions by the UI hit
> squad for a new file dialog:
> http://developer.gnome.org/gnome-ui/hitsquad/filedialog.html
>
> Cheers
> Christian

I have updated the file dialog redesign to indicate changes I have since
made. It is now more like the current dialog (relax, you'll see what I
mean), and also combines a Nautilus-style view picker. Plus it's also
much prettier :-)

[http://developer.gnome.org/gnome-ui/hitsquad/filedialog.html]

Also, Re: the Cancel-vs-Close discussion, I think that it should be
Cancel, and undo file operations that were made (as those could be
considered settings). Of course, user testing is what really needs to
happen to find out what users expect to happen, and which behavior they
like better (Cancel & undo or Close & keep).

    Jim Cape
    http://www.jcinteractive.com

    If the United States Government spent as much on education
    as it did on the military, every student could fail in a
    solid gold desk.