Re: The Desktop and the Gnomeprint

On Sun, 26 Jul 1998, Dan Kaminsky wrote:

> I believe Bowie has sufficiently made it clear that a Desktop is necessary,
> if only because users *will* expect one.
>
> I have an idea.
>
> I've become convinced, partly by my own argumentation being used against
> me(self-documenting interfaces), that there should at least be *some*
> folders, by standard, existing on the panel, because users need to know
> they're there.
>
> However, I've not changed my opinion that not EVERYTHING should reside on
> the panel.
>
> I also remain worried about the desktop being too much of a mess to
> navigate.
>
> So, I offer the following suggestion:
>
> 1)  The Desktop should be a folder inside of the gnomeprint, much as I
> suggested entire filesystems or foldersystems be allowed to be symlinked
> inside.
>
> 2)  *All* entries on the gnomeprint should have a checkbox besides them.  If
> you check it, it does the same thing as dragging the item from the
> gnomeprint to the panel should do:  Adds that icon or folder to the panel.
>
> 3)  By default, there should be at least two apps and two folders existing
> on the panel.  This way, the user will begin his Gnome experience seeing
> checkmarks on the gnomeprint next to the folders and apps on the panel, and
> the interface will have become self-documenting.
>
> What do y'all think?

i think my first concern is how this can be written efficiently, and who will
be willing to figure out how to do it. ideas are great, but intelligent code
is what's really neccessary.
|        / |/ /_ __/ /_____         |       Nuke Skyjumper               |
|       /    / // /  '_/ -_)        |         "Master of the Farce"      |