>>  ---------------------
>>  | Gnome  File  Help |
>>  -|-----|-------------
>>   |     --------
>>   |Preferences |
>>   |About       |
>>   |Exit        |
>>   |------------|
>> You propose something like this right? I think this is a good solution
>> personally.
>I see two problems:
>1. New converts aren't going to know to look under the Gnome menu to exit
>   the program.  I think the extra menu will throw some people off.  New
>   Linux users aren't stupid, but they often are very used to doing things
>   in a particular way.

The first thing a smart user does when confronted with a new app is looking
all the menus and submenus. IMO problem is near inexistent.

>2. Users may eventually wish to use programs that aren't part of Gnome.
>   These programs will almost certainly continue using the "standard" menu
>   layout so, if we change the Gnome layout from this standard, we will be
>   causing more UI inconsistency headaches for users, which is the exact
>   opposite of what we intend.  Remember, Gnome apps will run in a heter-
>   ogeneuos environment; it's not realistic to believe users will only use
>   Gnome applications.

IMO that means that Gnome will look like other apps, so why to create Gnome?
Other apps are inconsitent among them, I think that Gnome should try to have
a UI consitent, without forbiding new things, even if that means another
inconsitency (UI styles: A, B, C... Gnome; instead of A, B, C... Gnome(copy
of Z)).

Let me think... Mac users will like the main menu idea, Be too.

Users are not stupid, they will look all menu first. And if they see that
all Gnome apps has a main menu where you always found the same entries, they
will be happy.

GSR