Re: quit menu item

Ryan Cresawn wrote:

> ) On Mon, Jul 06, 1998 at 12:56:03PM +0200, Preben Randhol wrote:
> ) > * Marko Macek
> ) > | Gleef wrote:
> ) > | > Therefore I would vote that Preferences... be required to be
> ) > | > under File.  It's not pretty, but it would be consistant.  And
> ) > | > besides, Preferences are stored in a File, so it isn't a
> ) > | > non-sensical location.
> ) > |
> ) > | I disagree. File menu should only contain options related to the
> ) > | file.
> ) >
> ) > Where should one put Quit/Exit then? :)
> ) In a "Main" menu or something like that ?
>
> One thing that I have always liked about MacOS is the fact that "Quit"
> is always in the same place with the same keyboard shortcut and it
> isn't repeated.  I know this is too much to ask but wouldn't it be
> nice if there were only one way to quit an application instead of 2 or
> 3?  For instance, with xemacs open I can quite it buy typing the
> following:
>
> M-x kill-emacs OR
> C-x C-c OR
> by clicking on "File", then dragging to "Quit XEmacs" OR
> by clicking on the "X" provided by WindowMaker OR
> by right-clicking on the titlebar and selecting "Kill" via WindowMaker
>
> Would it be possible to avoid such confusion in gnome by reducing the
> number of ways to quit an application?  I personally like the idea of
> eliminating "Quit" from applications or eliminating the "X" from the
> window manager.

funny you should mention this; i was about to add that user interfaces
with more than one means to accomplish a goal are easier for a new user
to stumble across the "right way" to get what she wants, done.

another area of contention, i'm sure, and not one that i feel strongly
about, but it's worth noting and also must be stated that there must
indeed be a standard way to quit programs (and do anything else that's
as global as quitting) regardless of how many "alternative" paths exist.

--
"Whoever saves one life saves the whole world in time." --Talmud