Re: PROPOSAL: UISG Notification Sample Length Standardization

Tim <hairball@ibm.net> wrote:
> >  o The UISG V2.0 proposes that no "GNOME Compliant" application
> >    will use a default sound sample of a length greater than 2 seconds
> >    for the purpose of notifying the user. This is a simple
> >    proposal, only meant to prevent developers from being
> >    tacky when it comes to event notification with sound.
> >
> >    Agree or disagree? :) This one should be resolved fairly quickly.
>
>    I think we could handle at least 5 seconds.  At 180 beats/minute
> (moderately fast beat), 2 seconds only allows for 6 tones.  Speaking
> "You have new mail" in a normal voice takes 3 seconds.  I also think
> that for certain apps (like mail), repeats should be allowed until
> acknowledged.  User configurable, of course. You did say default though,
> didn't you.

I don't think we should cut ANY  hard value out of nowhere. if you say 2
secs, someone will have this  REAL cool sound and the only one that really
gets it, but it's 2.5 secs.

also, sound is a complicated issue. every app has it's own screen
real-estate, but there's only one sound system.

I think this thing needs more thought.

I see the following two requirements about sound:

a) it shouldn't get on the user's nerves

b) it shouldn't break other sounds

anyone a c) ?

the 2sec proposal falls under a), but I don't think it solves the issue.

		-- Henry Spencer