Re: PROPOSAL: UISG Notification Sample Length Standardization

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Tim wrote:

> Bowie Poag wrote:
> >
> >  o The UISG V2.0 proposes that no "GNOME Compliant" application
> >    will use a default sound sample of a length greater than 2 seconds
> >    for the purpose of notifying the user. This is a simple
> >    proposal, only meant to prevent developers from being
> >    tacky when it comes to event notification with sound.
> >
> >    Agree or disagree? :) This one should be resolved fairly quickly.

> Speaking
> "You have new mail" in a normal voice takes 3 seconds.  I also think
> that for certain apps (like mail), repeats should be allowed until
> acknowledged.  User configurable, of course. You did say default though,
> didn't you.

Thank you for noticing. :)

>    This is one place I think we should proxy window's method and allow
> all beep/notify events to be user configurable.  This would probably
> have to be done through an extention to esd and may be beyond the scope
> of this guide.

I think 2 seconds is a -reasonable- length of time for any kind of verbal
notification, even one like the one you just described. Anything beyond 2
seconds is basically tacky, but, again, this only governs default
lengths.. If you're nuts enough, I suppose you could have a 30 second
sample for notification, it just wouldnt be issued by default.

Bowie