Re: PROPOSAL: UISG Notification Sample Length Standardization

> On Thu, Aug 06, 1998 at 03:37:13PM -0700, Bowie Poag wrote:
> >  o The UISG V2.0 proposes that no "GNOME Compliant" application
> >    will use a default sound sample of a length greater than 2 seconds
> >    for the purpose of notifying the user. This is a simple
> >    proposal, only meant to prevent developers from being
> >    tacky when it comes to event notification with sound.
>
> >    Agree or disagree? :) This one should be resolved fairly quickly.
>
> Think this is a bit ambiguous....
>
> Define default sound for notifying?
> - is it a standard notification like a beep for a invalid entry.
> - is it also things like new mail notification as Tim pointed out, in
>   that case I would also take it a little wider in range... (just to be on
>   the save side)

Ric,

First of all...thanks for asking.

The proposal governs the default set of sound samples employed by the
application. In order to remain compliant, these samples cant be longer
than 2 seconds. Tacky-proof insurance. :) However, the application could
also include other samples of any length the author wants, and you can
(yourself) use samples longer than 2 seconds.

Think of it like cars leaving a factory. We're proposing that no car
leaves our factory with a "mauve" paintjob. If you want mauve, you do it
yourself, after you get the car. :)

> On Tue, Aug 11, 1998 at 11:22:59PM +0200, Tom Vogt wrote:
> > also, sound is a complicated issue.
>
> Couldn't agree more.
>
> Just curious.. is  there in the UISG a nice part about sound? Highly
> configurable by the user stuff like that... (I personaly *hate* sounds at
> every move I make with the mouse/whatever >:-) ) and something like
> sound should not be the only way to give notification? I've read some stuff
> about sound being good for secondary type user feedback? (If I recall the
> terminology right. The book was from Jenny Preece (editor) very good book btw)

Well, in Unix, the standard way of notifying the user is a single beep. :)
Not two, not three, but one.  I find sound triggers on user interaction
profoundly annoying as well, but I believe such a thing is more the domain
of a window manager's design, and not something we can mandate through the
Style Guide.

Bowie