Re: PROPOSAL: UISG Notification Sample Length Standardization

Bowie Poag wrote:

>  o The UISG V2.0 proposes that no "GNOME Compliant" application
>    will use a default sound sample of a length greater than 2 seconds
>    for the purpose of notifying the user. This is a simple
>    proposal, only meant to prevent developers from being
>    tacky when it comes to event notification with sound.
>
>    Agree or disagree? :) This one should be resolved fairly quickly.

   I think we could handle at least 5 seconds.  At 180 beats/minute
(moderately fast beat), 2 seconds only allows for 6 tones.  Speaking
"You have new mail" in a normal voice takes 3 seconds.  I also think
that for certain apps (like mail), repeats should be allowed until
acknowledged.  User configurable, of course. You did say default though,
didn't you.
   This is one place I think we should proxy window's method and allow
all beep/notify events to be user configurable.  This would probably
have to be done through an extention to esd and may be beyond the scope
of this guide.

--

Tim
-----