Re: Whitespace (was: Re: GNOME Compliance Labels)

-----Original Message-----
From: Lars Torben Wilson <torben@coastnet.com>
To: gnome-gui-list@gnome.org <gnome-gui-list@gnome.org>
Date: Monday, August 10, 1998 4:51 PM
Subject: Whitespace (was: Re: GNOME Compliance Labels)

>Gleef writes:
> > IMHO, proper use of whitespace improves the professional appearance of a
> > program.  Motif programs often have too little.  GTK+ programs often
have
> > too much.  GNOME should encourage a good balance of whitespace and text.
> >
> > -Gleef
>
>Stictly on the whitespace issue, I'm with you on this one. Whitespace
>makes a *huge* difference in how professional or polished a program
>looks. It can also be used to line up widgets into columns, which when
>done properly, eases the eye's journey around the window. I've got some
>links a professor of mine had made up about this--I'll have to go dig
>them up. And translate them into English.  :)

Windows apps, in general, have less whitespace than almost every Unix app.
Yes, I'll say that to that degree of certainty.  And you know what?  They
look better.  There's a *reason* Windows 3.1 looks like crap compared to 95.

I was thinking about making some big huge post about how more whitespace
looks worse.  But why should I?  That's what mockups are for.