Re: RGSG - contents of Program menu

On Mon, Aug 03, 1998 at 10:19:21PM -0700, Lars Torben Wilson wrote:
> Wesley Felter writes:
>  > > So what goes into Program?
<snip>
>  > > What can we say DEFINITIVELY goes into Program?

One observation. We should look big at necessity. It can be real cool to
put lots of stuff 'we' as coders/graphics-lovers/etc like into a menu but
please think of the average user. Think of the function of the application.
It's interface should fit to the application/task.

> Welsey's already got Preferences, and Print can't go there for the reasons
> above.

> Screenplay stuff:

Is this really necessary? Is it functional.

> Screengrabbing

There are seperate programs which do this stuf? Why incorporate it? Unless
it's of course a program where the screenshots are relevant. As I posted a
few minutes back (and some others made similar remarks too) is it maybe a
good idea to make the program menu a more 'gnomish' menu.

> About/Help, maybe
>   Users from other OSes will be pretty likely to want that to be a
>   top level menu to start with, but if tmfkap does turn out
>   to be a macro-generated menu, the consistency would deal with that.

Is a good one for the Gnome/tmfkap/prog menu. Although the separate Help
menu got some good points going for it too.

> Exit, certainly.
>   Note that I differentiate here between 'Exit app' and 'Close
>   window'; (re: the IE stuff in another thread). This should close
>   all windows belonging to this instance of the application, prompting
>   to save files beforehand. Any sort of other 'Save all files' stuff
>   should go under File (or whatever its name happens to be). Multiple
>   running instances should _not_ respond.

Agreed.

>  > This is shaping up really well: The Program/foot menu is for app-wide
>  > commands, the File menu is for document-wide commands, the Edit menu
>  > is for commands that operate on the selection.
>
> I pretty much agree. I'd just like to state, for the record, that
> anything I say wrt this whole thing is strictly IMHO and bears
> testing, rehashing, and general bashing about. :)

Agreed.

Ric
- Ric Klaren - ia_ric@cs.utwente.nl ------- klaren@cs.utwente.nl --------------
'And this 'rebooting' business? Give it a good kicking, do you?' 'Oh, no,
 of course, we ... that is ... well, yes, in fact,' said Ponder. 'Adrian
   goes round the back and ... er ... prods it with his foot. But in a
    technical way,' he added. --- From: Hogfather by Terry Pratchett.

PGP signature