RE: Gnome Key Binding Standard

The specific bindings are not important; they are user-configurable
(globally).
What is important is that these bindings exist.

Also, any application should be able to add new keybinding names and
recommended value (if it conflicts with a user binding, either have no
binding, or immediately ask use (the keybinding engine does this, not the
application)).
E.g.  if a new application does a "foo" operation, it could register a "foo"
keyboard binding with the keybinding engine.  (It might suggest shift-ctrl-F
for the recommended binding, which will be used unless the user already has
already bound shift-ctrl-F to something else.)  After this, a future
function that uses "foo" will automatically get this binding.
There should be a base set of keybinding names that are guaranteed to be in
the binding engine's database (even if unbound).  Applications that use
additional binding names should register these bindings as part of startup
(if they are already bound, the attempt to reregister will do nothing).

Also, the original proposal mentioned that "more than one key may be bound
to a single name" or something like that.
To clarify, this means BOTH that a single keybinding may consist of a
sequence of more than one key (Ex:  Ctrl+K, Ctrl+D in sequence) AND that you
may have multiple (parallel) key sequences bound to the same name (e.g. both
Ctrl+S and F2 bound to fileSave means I may use either ^S or F2 to save).

Paul