RE: Gnome Key Binding Standard

On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, Paul Hepworth wrote:

> The specific bindings are not important; they are user-configurable
> (globally).
> What is important is that these bindings exist.

I disagree; I think the specific bindings _are_ important.  I think having
good, fairly standardized (whatever that means) defaults is very
important, because that's what 95% of users will use, especially if GNOME
will be used for end-user systems.  If the defaults are good enough, then
the different distributions won't have to put them together themselves,
helping to ensure standardization between distributions (and systems, like
the BSDs).  I'm a moderate 'power-user', and of all the configurable
keybinding in the apps I use, I've made only a few changes.  In fact, I
contend that, at least working towards a 1.0 release, making the bindings
user-configurable isn't very important.  What's important is to get a
working system out, and get people using it. Not to say that it isn't a a
worthwhile goal; but to get people using the system, and thus more
developers writing applications is more important.

Dein Wil
W. Reilly Cooley, Esq.                   Schöner Götterfunken
cooleyw@reed.edu                             wcooley@navi.net