Re: [gnome-flashback] Appmenu button in the window title

Hi,

On Mon, 27 Apr 2015 23:07:05 +0300, Alberts Muktupāvels wrote:
Using a whole menu bar just to show *one* menu is ugly from all sides
(that's what happens when we set the XSettings override).

Which applications does this? I know only dconf-editor.

Interesting, last time I checked many applications did this, and
this is why I brought this topic up.

Looks like you are right, only dconf-editor uses this.

Do you know any apps that are using GNOME-style appmenu but not CSD?
Such apps may be a problem for us.

I know only gnome-terminal, but it has a traditional menu so it is
not a problem.

We can not do much about this, we have to options:
1) menus are exported for shell. we don't see menu bar and it is not
possible to use menu button in csd window. it will not be shown even button
is added to button/decoration layout.

2) menus are not exported for shell. apps will show menubar, csd window can
shows this menu under menu button.

See above...

There is also Gtk/ShellShowsMenubar, but I don't know what it does...

That is for OS X/Unity style global menu.

But do you know if Gtk+ can insert a menu button into the CSD?
Like this?:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/orlpj03pkjuw6ef/Screenshot%20from%202015-04-27%2022-16-58.png?dl=0

Yes.

And it is same menu that is shown in gnome-shell panel, right?

Exactly.

I guess that requires bigger changes - for example mutter and metacity
should somehow (adding that atom to _NET_SUPPORTED?) tell that we support
appmenu in decoration and apps should not add useless menu bar. This would
require some work in mutter, metacity and gtk+. Since they have not done
that for mutter I am not interested in writing patches that most likely
will not be accepted. I have tried twice - org.gnome.Shell bug, per session
overrides bug. Seems that they are not interested in anything that is
unrelated to GNOME. :(

You are right. Let's close this thread :)

Re the per-session overrides bug, Ryan Lortie (GLib developer from Canonical)
is interested in it. I know that this bug is going to be discussed on the
Ubuntu Online Summit, so there are chances to get it accepted.