Re: [gnome-flashback] GNOME Panel improvements

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 11:48 AM, Balló György <ballogyor gmail com> wrote:

1. Don't set the presence if not changed. Currently it's possible to
unselect the radio button in the user menu. This patch fixes the
problem, and keeps the presence radio button on, if the user click
on
it.

Are you sure it was not made so it can be unselected?

Anyway I would do it differently:
1) It should use radio items not check. Radio buttons are designed
for
this
kind of task.
2) I would connect to toggled signal not activate. We are interested
only if
presence has changed so this signal looks better.

I attached my variant. What do you think?

I'm sure that my patch works, but your implementation is better, so I
prefer your variant.

I did not say that your patch does not work. It works, I tested it. :) I
want to know if ability to unselected presence was not specially made.
Is
there bug report or something about this?

Oh, I understand now. I think it's a bug if a radio button is
unselectable. But it's possible that something else is broken, because
if I set my presence in Empaty, it's not updated on the panel. I'm not
sure how it supposed to work.

Empathy checks if gnome-shell is running. But even if not running then
changing status in empathy won't update status in gnome-panel. One more
reason to don't use org.gnome.Shell for end session dialog. Because empaty
thinks that shell is running it wont display status icon in
notification-area.

Maybe we should drop status from user-menu?

I was thinking about that also. GNOME Shell dropped the status
switcher in version 3.10:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-shell/commit/js/ui/userMenu.js?id=d802416daeb2f9bfd25132e6465ccf022074c5b9

So I think we could drop the whole telepathy support from gnome-panel.
I know that Empathy will display a nice systray icon, where it's
possible to set the status, once we could avoid using org.gnome.Shell
in the end session dialog.

--
György Balló
Arch Linux Trusted User