Re: [gnome-flashback] GNOME Panel improvements

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 8:32 PM, Balló György <ballogyor gmail com> wrote:
>> 1. Don't set the presence if not changed. Currently it's possible to
>> unselect the radio button in the user menu. This patch fixes the
>> problem, and keeps the presence radio button on, if the user click on
>> it.
>

> Are you sure it was not made so it can be unselected?
>
> Anyway I would do it differently:
> 1) It should use radio items not check. Radio buttons are designed for this
> kind of task.
> 2) I would connect to toggled signal not activate. We are interested only if
> presence has changed so this signal looks better.
>
> I attached my variant. What do you think?

I'm sure that my patch works, but your implementation is better, so I
prefer your variant.

I did not say that your patch does not work. It works, I tested it. :) I want to know if ability to unselected presence was not specially made. Is there bug report or something about this?

>> 3. Simplify Adwaita style. This brings a more traditional look and
>> feel for the panel with support for light and dark theme variants, and
>> also for the HighContrast theme. The style is as minimal as possible,
>> and reuses theme colors.
>

> How to test dark theme variant?
>
> Is this how it used to look by default? We don't need it as minimal as
> possible, but to look like nothing has changed. I am ubuntu user and I have
> only used Ambiance theme so I don't know it should look.
>
> If we are going to leave borders on tasklist buttons than I would say that
> we need at least few pixels space around it.

I updated the patch with a small fix (attached).

You can test the dark theme variant by setting
'gtk-application-prefer-dark-theme=1' in file
'~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini'. You can do this also from the
gnome-tweak-tool. It works only with themes that support dark theme
variant.

You can see some screenshots about the default look of GNOME Panel
with my patches here:
- Adwaita - http://pkgbuild.com/~bgyorgy/images/Adwaita.png
- Adwaita dark variant - http://pkgbuild.com/~bgyorgy/images/Adwaita-dark.png
- HighContrast - http://pkgbuild.com/~bgyorgy/images/HighContrast.png

And I agree that we need to add a few pixels between tasklist buttons,
but I don't know how to do this.

Thanks for info. Ok, I will accept this patch. But I am going to remove border from buttons and I will rename Adwaita.css to gnome-panel.css as it is used with other theme too.

>> 5. Show 'start-here' icon in menu bar by default. This restores the
>> old behavior in GNOME 2.
>

> Where should I add -PanelMenuBar-icon-visible: false; to test it? Does it
> work? I know that setting icon sizes does not work anymore.
>
> And was it default to show icon there in GNOME 2?

The 'start-here' icon is the top-left GNOME logo on the panel. It was
default to show in GNOME 2:
https://help.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/2.32/figures/gnome-2-32.png

The '-PanelMenuBar-icon-visible' property makes it possible for the
theme developers to disable the icon if they want. You can test it by
adding the following CSS rule:

PanelMenuBar {
  -PanelMenuBar-icon-visible: false;
}

I tried to do opposite - setting it to true, bet icon did not show...