Re: [gnome-flashback] GNOME Panel improvements

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 8:32 PM, Balló György <ballogyor gmail com> wrote:

<alberts muktupavels gmail com>:
1. Don't set the presence if not changed. Currently it's possible to
unselect the radio button in the user menu. This patch fixes the
problem, and keeps the presence radio button on, if the user click on
it.

Are you sure it was not made so it can be unselected?

Anyway I would do it differently:
1) It should use radio items not check. Radio buttons are designed for
this
kind of task.
2) I would connect to toggled signal not activate. We are interested
only if
presence has changed so this signal looks better.

I attached my variant. What do you think?

I'm sure that my patch works, but your implementation is better, so I
prefer your variant.

I did not say that your patch does not work. It works, I tested it. :) I
want to know if ability to unselected presence was not specially made. Is
there bug report or something about this?

Oh, I understand now. I think it's a bug if a radio button is
unselectable. But it's possible that something else is broken, because
if I set my presence in Empaty, it's not updated on the panel. I'm not
sure how it supposed to work.

3. Simplify Adwaita style. This brings a more traditional look and
feel for the panel with support for light and dark theme variants, and
also for the HighContrast theme. The style is as minimal as possible,
and reuses theme colors.

How to test dark theme variant?

Is this how it used to look by default? We don't need it as minimal as
possible, but to look like nothing has changed. I am ubuntu user and I
have
only used Ambiance theme so I don't know it should look.

If we are going to leave borders on tasklist buttons than I would say
that
we need at least few pixels space around it.

I updated the patch with a small fix (attached).

You can test the dark theme variant by setting
'gtk-application-prefer-dark-theme=1' in file
'~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini'. You can do this also from the
gnome-tweak-tool. It works only with themes that support dark theme
variant.

You can see some screenshots about the default look of GNOME Panel
with my patches here:
- Adwaita - http://pkgbuild.com/~bgyorgy/images/Adwaita.png
- Adwaita dark variant -
http://pkgbuild.com/~bgyorgy/images/Adwaita-dark.png
- HighContrast - http://pkgbuild.com/~bgyorgy/images/HighContrast.png

And I agree that we need to add a few pixels between tasklist buttons,
but I don't know how to do this.

Thanks for info. Ok, I will accept this patch. But I am going to remove
border from buttons and I will rename Adwaita.css to gnome-panel.css as it
is used with other theme too.

Okay, but the style does not work correctly, when the theme does not
define the following variables:
@theme_unfocused_bg_color;
@theme_unfocused_fg_color;
@theme_selected_bg_color;
@theme_selected_fg_color;

I don't know if it's possible to specify fallback colors.

--
György Balló
Arch Linux Trusted User