Re: [gnome-flashback] State of Gnome Flashback

On 30 May 2014 10:25, "Dmitry Shachnev" <mitya57 ubuntu com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 2:39 AM, Philipp Kaluza <floss ghostroute eu> wrote:
> > Am 25.05.2014 16:29, schrieb Dmitry Shachnev:
> >> I *am* testing the git snapshots on Debian experimental and Ubuntu 14.04.
> >> It mostly works well, on Debian there are some issues like keyboard
> >> layout switching not working,
> >> *but* it is definitely better than our current release (3.8.0).
> >
> > Good to hear that. Could you prepare a list of which version of relevant
> > components (g-s-d, g-c-c etc.) you have installed on each distribution,
> > and which regressions you see where ?
>
> Debian experimental:
> - gnome-settings-daemon 3.12.1
> - gnome-control-center 3.12.1
> - nautilus 3.12.0
>
> Known issues on Debian experimental:
> - sometimes missing cursor,
> - shortcut to switch keyboard layout not working,
> - drive automount not working,
> - missing background.

When I tested than cursor was missing every time, but I tested with 3.14 moduleset on ubuntu 14.10 with jhbuild.

I am working on missing background. Will upload as new branch when will be ready.

> Ubuntu 14.04:
> - unity-settings-daemon 14.04.0+14.04.20140414 (yeah, a very weird
> version number)
> - unity-control-center 14.04.3+14.04.20140410
> - nautilus 3.10.1, heavily patched by Ubuntu
>
> Everything works fine.
>
> > Also, by "git snapshots" I assume you mean master, right ?
>
> Right.
>
> >> Re the version number, I think we should choose 3.8.1 as there aren't
> >> any new features, just bug fixes.
> > Yes, but if I am not mistaken, we still have ABI breaking commits in
> > master, that were not reverted. So then we cannot release 3.8.1 without
> > either reverting those, or releasing from the 3.8 branch, with some
> > fixes cherry-picked to it.
> >
> > Also the version number should reflect what gnome ecosystem we recommend
> > as a base, but that consideration is secondary to our ABI guarantees.
>
> Right, I forgot that we had an ABI break. I have compared 3.8.0 and
> master, the two removed symbols are (both removed in
> c96e85f3dfe8eb4f524a59f4683197dfe9539d2e):
> - panel_applet_bindings_clean
> - panel_applet_bindings_init
>
> I think we can re-add those two methods, make them no-op, and mark as
> deprecated.

Why this ABI break is so important? What problems it is causing and / or may cause? If I remember correctly than theese functions was used only in libpanel-applet itself and not in applets.