Re: [gnome-flashback] GNOME Flashback

Hi Alberts, sorry for the long delay.

On 07/03/2014 06:14 AM, Alberts Muktupāvels wrote:
Hi!

I will continue to work on GNOME Flashback only as maintainer! If this is not going to happen then I am leaving upstream.

It is not normal that our maintainer can not find some time to fix bugs and/or make new releases.

In 9 months he has done nothing, but only criticized my work. He requires that I am doing everything 110% correctly and/or in best way. While he can not properly do some testing and incorrectly reports that EDS is working.

I have made mistakes and probably will make some in future too. But at least there will be some progress.

This is what I would do if I will be maintainer:
1) Fix some EDS related bugs.
2) Make 3.8.1 release.
3) Merge gnome-applets. Probably I will try to contact with gnome-applets current and/or previous maintainers to confirm that I am right about incorrectly added license (COPYING) file.
4) Not sure, but might try to port all added applets to gsettings.
5) If I will succeed with previous point I would remove remaining gconf parts too.
6) Make 3.9.0 release.
7) Spend some time on desktop-background branch to make it ready for merging into master. 8) Remove some multi-screen code that makes no sense with GTK+ 3.10 or newer.
9) Port at least some of deprecated things.
10) Might release 3.10.0 as experimental release for testing.
11) Will spend extra time on end-session-dialog. Probably here I would try to contact gnome-session developers for some extra info. 12) Might create default styling .css file for use only in gnome-panel to get back old look. I hope that this will be possible in way I am thinking. 13) At this point I hope that most important problems would be fixed and I could release 3.12 or 3.14.
14) Bug fixing, more missing feature restoring.

So I am asking to all Flashback users and developers subscribed to this mailing-list:

1) Who wants that I am continuing work on gnome-panel? Who wants me as new maintainer?

I do, we can't just stand still, and you've done a great and timely job of fixing bugs in the Ubuntu family. You've also proven that you_can_work_well_with_others when needed such as Tim Lunn (lead dev for Ubuntu GNOME).

2) And who wants that things does not change? Who wants to watch how gnome-panel slowly dies.

And die we will if we don't do something. I see that a small group of people have begun the Ubuntu MATE Remix project already - in almost exactly the same manner that Ubuntu GNOME pursued prior to becoming an official flavor.

And I'd remind everyone that Jonathan Carter basically asked if we shouldn't raise the white flag shortly after Ubuntu Trusty was released. If those leading the project actually prefer that the project simply die then they should voice their intentions now!

Lance