Re: Conditions not satisfied when converting to HTML

On 2017-12-19 19:59, Petr Kovar wrote:
On Tue, 19 Dec 2017 11:38:09 +0100 Andre Klapper <ak-47 gmx net>
wrote:
On Mon, 2017-12-11 at 02:51 +0100, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
The markup code at gs-browse-web.page includes various
conditionals. However, none of the conditions seems to be
satisfied when converting to the HTML version of the page:

https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/gs-browse-web.html

When browsing gs-browse-web.page using yelp it seems to be >>> correctly rendered, though.

I don't know where the problem lies.

How could the software running behind help.gnome.org know on which
exact Linux distribution the user's browser is running? :) I guess
it could check the browser's user agent string. Does e.g. Ubuntu
patch all the browsers shipped in Ubuntu to include some special
"Ubuntu" line in the browsers' user agent strings?

This is indeed a valid issue. The content at
https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/gs-browse-web.html is
incomplete and thus broken because the site scripts just call
yelp-build and serve the output as static HTML on the site, I
believe. Running yelp-build locally shows that the conditional
content is dropped from the HTML output.

Right, that's what I tried to say in my first message, but I was probably not crystal clear. ;) One way to handle that particular page is to test also for "target:html"; please see the attached patch. But with my Ubuntu hat on, I hope for a smarter solution.

We build the docs on the Ubuntu site too:

https://help.ubuntu.com/17.10/ubuntu-help/

Ideally I'd like to see a solution which would make yelp-build output 'vanilla GNOME' options when converting to HTML for help.gnome.org, Ubuntu options when converting to HTML for help.ubuntu.com, etc. It would be great if there is some way to make yelp-build recognize the platform on which it's run, and adapt the output accordingly.

Shaun, could shed some more light on how yelp-build treats
conditional content?

Thanks!

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson