Re: Conditions not satisfied when converting to HTML

On vacation with only my phone, so sorry for the crap email. I'll look more closely when I get home.

By default, yelp-build doesn't set any platform: tokens. You can set them with a param in the customization stylesheet you pass with -x. In general, if a page is useless without tokens set, it's probably a case for using if:else.

------ Original message------
From: Petr Kovar
Date: Tue, Dec 19, 2017 1:59 PM
To: Andre Klapper;shaunm gnome org;
Cc: Gunnar Hjalmarsson;gnome-doc-list gnome org;Doug Smythies;
Subject:Re: Conditions not satisfied when converting to HTML

On Tue, 19 Dec 2017 11:38:09 +0100
Andre Klapper  wrote:

> On Mon, 2017-12-11 at 02:51 +0100, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
> > The markup code at gs-browse-web.page includes various conditionals.
> > However, none of the conditions seems to be satisfied when converting to
> > the HTML version of the page:
> >
> > https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/gs-browse-web.html
> >
> > When browsing gs-browse-web.page using yelp it seems to be correctly
> > rendered, though.
> >
> > I don't know where the problem lies.
>
> How could the software running behind help.gnome.org know on which
> exact Linux distribution the user's browser is running? :)
> I guess it could check the browser's user agent string.
> Does e.g. Ubuntu patch all the browsers shipped in Ubuntu to include
> some special "Ubuntu" line in the browsers' user agent strings?

This is indeed a valid issue. The content at
https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/gs-browse-web.html is
incomplete and thus broken because the site scripts just call yelp-build
and serve the output as static HTML on the site, I believe. Running
yelp-build locally shows that the conditional content is dropped from the
HTML output.

Shaun, could shed some more light on how yelp-build treats conditional
content?

(Just to clarify, in gs-browse-web we check for the user's distro, not
browser. Browser check is not implemented.)

Thanks,
pk