Re: Conditions not satisfied when converting to HTML

On Tue, 19 Dec 2017 11:38:09 +0100
Andre Klapper <ak-47 gmx net> wrote:

On Mon, 2017-12-11 at 02:51 +0100, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
The markup code at gs-browse-web.page includes various conditionals.
However, none of the conditions seems to be satisfied when converting to
the HTML version of the page:

https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/gs-browse-web.html

When browsing gs-browse-web.page using yelp it seems to be correctly
rendered, though.

I don't know where the problem lies.

How could the software running behind help.gnome.org know on which
exact Linux distribution the user's browser is running? :)
I guess it could check the browser's user agent string.
Does e.g. Ubuntu patch all the browsers shipped in Ubuntu to include
some special "Ubuntu" line in the browsers' user agent strings?

This is indeed a valid issue. The content at
https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/gs-browse-web.html is
incomplete and thus broken because the site scripts just call yelp-build
and serve the output as static HTML on the site, I believe. Running
yelp-build locally shows that the conditional content is dropped from the
HTML output.

Shaun, could shed some more light on how yelp-build treats conditional
content?

(Just to clarify, in gs-browse-web we check for the user's distro, not
browser. Browser check is not implemented.)

Thanks,
pk