Re: current and future help

Hi,

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 09:50:51 -0500
Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:

> I don't think the desktop help and application help are all
> that different. In either case, Yelp is designed to let you
> get information quickly without blocking what you're doing.

I think there is some room for improvement here in how we want different
audiences to access different documents in different locations.

Sure, there is an easy way to display desktop help or application help in
Yelp, but do we have a plan for system admin guide / help? How do we want to
present it in our help system? Selecting Go -> All Documents and scrolling
down the page doesn't seem to be obvious enough, neither it is
user-friendly IMHO. (Has there been some recent user testing done on this
topic?)

Some distributors also include their downstream documents with GNOME, but
simply appending those docs on the Desktop help index page like it is done
in openSUSE I believe doesn't seem like a win, even though it is probably a
best effort unless they want to ship another desktop icon pretending that
the shipped document is an application.

My 2 crowns,
Petr Kovar