Re: current and future help

On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 12:38 AM, Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:

>> - should use the same patterns as other GNOME 3 applications
>
> Yelp is not an application. Users certainly don't see it as one.
> It's already pretty screwed up by the way GNOME Shell treats it
> as one.

You treat it as an application yourself:
- you give it a desktop file
- it shows up in the application list
- it uses a very classic application window pattern with menubar,
toolbar, content

If you don't want an application, don't write one - make it a library
that applications link against to present their help. You don't need
to play games with gtk_window_present() then, either...

You won't have a place to present the standalone user guide any more,
though. We need an application for that.

Can we at agree that yelp is used in two very different modes ? The
one is a standalone documentation viewer, the other is to present
application help. We probably disagree on whether it is ok to ditch
the second mode and always be a separate application.