Re: display-2monitors stub

Am 03.10.2011 21:31, schrieb Shaun McCance:
> On Mon, 2011-10-03 at 21:08 +0200, Mario Blättermann wrote:
>> Am 03.10.2011 20:49, schrieb Shaun McCance:
>>
>>> I'm freezing 3.2.1 on October 10th for the translators.
>>>
>> Oh, nice to know! We are almost finished with the German translation.
>> Then the complete German version goes into Fedora 16 and Ubuntu Oneiric,
>> fortunately.
>>
>> By the way, recently I've read about doc freezes for Evolution etc.
>> Would be nice if we had such freezes for some more modules (or even in
>> general).
>
> The eventual plan is to have a hard freeze on all documentation one
> week before each stable release. We'd thaw after each stable point
> release, then re-freeze a week before the next point release. So
> we'd freeze a week before 3.4.0, thaw after the release, re-freeze
> a week before 3.4.1, etc.
>
> I know a week's not a lot of time to translate 1000+ pages of help,
> which is why we should keep doing the voluntary freezes as well. So
> if we're sure, for example, that the Cheese help is done three weeks
> before release, we'll mark it as such and let the translators know,
> so they can get to work on it early.

One week is enough, unless we speak about a new manual which is
introduced in Git just one week before the release. If we have just
_some_ changes, then it should be OK. For newly to be written manuals
(or even Mallard migrations) it would be better to move the contents
from the external playgrounds (Gitorious) to Git somewhat earlier, to
allow translators to have a look in an early stage. With our translation
tools, such as Gtranslator and Poedit, it is quite simple to correct
fuzzy strings after some changes. It would be better anyway to add the
Gitorious stuff as a remote branch to the GNOME Git. Then we could
commit draft translations into that branch.

Best Regards,
Mario