Interested in working with you

My name is Nan Clegg, and while I've been using Ubuntu and Linux Mint both for a while now, I have never worked with any type of organization online such as the documentation team. I believe that I could be of service, and I would love to get more involved, I was looking through all of the tasks for Ubuntu docs and saw a couple of places I am specifically interested in pursuing the chance to write documentation. The problem is that I'm nervous, and not sure how to go about helping. I am interested in helping write docs for gnome-app-install (the package manager),  gwibber, and synaptic. Under Synaptic it says it is in progress, so I don't if I can help there, but the other two sections seem to have no one working on them.
My real question is, do I just go through the process of writing it, following the guidelines and submitting, or do I need to talk with someone first and tell them I want to work on a specific project? While reading through, I wasn't clear on which of these to do.

Thanks for any direction on this.

Nan