Re: Using videos in the help

> In this specific case, there is no audio track, so CC would
> only be useful as fallback content for blind users.  And we
> can already provide fallback content without CC (assuming it
> works in the browser engines, which I haven't checked).

It sounds like the video is a visual duplication or summary of the written content.  That is, it is completely redundant and textual equivalents already exist.  If so, then we have some reduction in worry about blind users not being able to access it.

> We made a conscious decision not to include an audio track
> for a number of reasons:
>
> 1) Good voice talent is hard.
> 2) It increases the translation burden significantly.
> 3) It's non-accessible without a CC fallback.

Sounds fair.

> [1] That reminds me, I very much want to provide a "Universal
> Access" page in every help document, detailing accessibility
> issues specific to the application.  I asked for information
> about Empathy accessibility on gnome-accessibility-list and
> got no response.  It's certainly not too late to put together
> an accessibility page for Tetravex or any other Mallard help
> document we're shipping.

Yeah - some sort of "Universal Access" page might be fine, though I suspect a specific and valuable page might be "keyboard-only access".  That will likely be the thing of much importance to blind users and which is often the hardest to figure out.

Will