Re: Using videos in the help

Hi Willie,

2010/2/10 Willie Walker <walker willie gmail com>:
> Neat.  Does the video support closed captioning?

Unfortunately, not.
It is based on the HTML5 video tag, and it doesn't really support
captioning (yet?). I know that Mozilla has some proposal for it, but
nothing real (if there is something already working, I would really
like to take a look at it).

I've been looking around to see if there is some sane way to add them,
but they involve JavaScript and is something that we have or we do not
have: it is not possible to enable/disable them when needed (well, at
least for what I've been looking). Plus, we need to take into
consideration i18n/l10n aspects and the translators workflow. Usually
CC or subtitles are stored in a separate file, we should deal with
that in a way that translators will not find awkward (maybe extending
xml2po?).

These are just my personal researches, I don't know if Shaun has been
looking into it, IIRC we discussed briefly about this during an IRC
meeting.

Willie, do you think the absence of CC or subtitles is a real blocker
to the introduction of small video in the help?

Ciao.

--
Milo Casagrande <miloc gnome org>