Re: Empathy help card sort

2009/9/5 Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org>:

> It was suggested to me by somebody that we ought to have
> a descriptive page for each account type.  We'd need to
> put thought into why we'd be doing that though.  I don't
> want to spend time on that for 2.28.

I can talk of some of those services, but I won't be able to talk
about others, since I've never used them and probably never will do.

Anyway, I think we can see how things work out with this new help in a
real scenario: GNOME 2.28. After that, maybe we need to collect some
more data (survey, wathever...) and try to see what's missing and what
needs to be improved, what are the most used services...

> Now Salut is kind of a different story, because it's one
> of those features you don't even know you want until you
> know it's there.  So that leaves us with the problem of
> trying to put information into the hands of people who
> aren't looking for it.
>
> (I think we should add more meat to the Introduction.
> Use it to play up cool features.  Just use quick blurbs
> and link to further information.  Treat it almost as if
> it were marketing copy.)

That would be cool, maybe adding some more "colors" to it too, some
screenshots, but we may need text-flowing images for that. I think
this can go in also for 2.30/3.0.

What I think needs fixing now is the Salut one. People will see
"People Nearby" as a service, and then "What is the Salut service?".
That is confusing. If it sounds OK, I'll rename that topic to "What is
People Nearby?" and fix the topic itself.

> So I've been using sentence capitalization for titles that
> use a sentence structure, such as those we use for tasks
> and problems.  And I've been using header capitalization
> for noun phrase titles, which we use for guides, concept,
> references, etc.

Cool.

> I've been tending to allow redundancy with IRC topics.
> IRC is a strange beast, and I kind of suspect that most
> people who come to Empathy for IRC are already thinking
> in terms of IRC.

> There is no end to the kind of wonder we could be putting
> in the User Guide^W^WDesktop Help about both sending files
> and desktop sharing.  Let's make sure to keep that in mind
> when we start planning.  And let's revisit Empathy to see
> if some linkage would be appropriate.

Added to my docs Tomboy note.

> Agreed.  That should be a pretty easy change.

Done that. Please give it a check. I added it before the account
section right now.

--
Milo Casagrande <milo casagrande name>