Re: Empathy help card sort

On Fri, 2009-09-04 at 17:12 -0500, Shaun McCance wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-09-04 at 23:29 +0200, Milo Casagrande wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > 2009/9/4 Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org>:

> > > Introduction
> > > What is the Salut service?
> > >
> > > Introduction stood on its own for quite a while, until
> > > she couldn't decide where to put Salut.  She said she
> > > doesn't know what Salut is, and thought a page like
> > > that would probably be linked from the Introduction.
> >
> > Hmmm... with the new version of Empathy, Salut is no more, now it's
> > "People nearby". I think we need to fix that one, if people search
> > help files they will look for "What is People Nearby?" not "What is
> > Salut?", we can explain that People Nearby is Salut in that page
> > though.
> >
> > I'm not still convinced about moving the Salut description even if
> > it's buried under another page. Maybe we can add it as an Account
> > Details in the Accounts Window .
>
> It was suggested to me by somebody that we ought to have
> a descriptive page for each account type.  We'd need to
> put thought into why we'd be doing that though.  I don't
> want to spend time on that for 2.28.
>
> Now Salut is kind of a different story, because it's one
> of those features you don't even know you want until you
> know it's there.  So that leaves us with the problem of
> trying to put information into the hands of people who
> aren't looking for it.
>
> (I think we should add more meat to the Introduction.
> Use it to play up cool features.  Just use quick blurbs
> and link to further information.  Treat it almost as if
> it were marketing copy.)

More directly to the point, I think the real purpose of
that page was to answer that question.  "Salut" means
nothing to people.  So they ask "What is Salut?"  Silke
thought it might be some sort of (metaphorical) way to
salute people, by the way.  Like a Facebook poke.

Now with People Nearby, will they ask that question?
They might still not know what it really is, but do
they really care?

Maybe it is worth having descriptive pages for at least
those account types we want to promote.  And link to them
from the Accounts Window page, so that when people see the
list of strange words and click Help, they might learn why
they'd use each of the services.

--
Shaun