Re: Empathy help card sort

Hi,

2009/9/4 Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org>:

> Introduction
> What is the Salut service?
>
> Introduction stood on its own for quite a while, until
> she couldn't decide where to put Salut.  She said she
> doesn't know what Salut is, and thought a page like
> that would probably be linked from the Introduction.

Hmmm... with the new version of Empathy, Salut is no more, now it's
"People nearby". I think we need to fix that one, if people search
help files they will look for "What is People Nearby?" not "What is
Salut?", we can explain that People Nearby is Salut in that page
though.

I'm not still convinced about moving the Salut description even if
it's buried under another page. Maybe we can add it as an Account
Details in the Accounts Window .

> Status Types and Icons

OFFTOPIC: Is the capitalization of this title wanted? All the others
are normal...

>(By the way, we should
> try to have page titles that stand on their own, without
> the context of the guide page we think they exist on.)

Need to work on that... but I find it kind of difficult, also because
users might want to read what they are looking for when they open the
help...

> Send files
> Send files over IRC
>  ---

Interesting, and true: should we have one single page for sending
files even if sending them via IRC is not possible and that page is
really a one line sentence? Or should we add the IRC sending files
also in the Advanced Actions sections?

> Share your desktop
>
> These are two stacks.  But in the end she put them next
> to each other.  Her reasoning was that instead of sending
> a file, you'd share your desktop.  OK, if this doesn't
> make sense to you, it's probably because you make stuff
> and send it to people.  She's one of those people who
> sends Word documents back and forth for collaborative
> editing.
>
> This is interesting to me, because it speaks to why she
> would send files or share her desktop.  To her, these
> aren't so much goals as they are means to accomplish a
> goal: collaborative editing.  Ask a dozen other people
> and you might get a dozen other answers on why they'd
> do these things.

Interesting. I think this is information that could be useful for the
GNOME User Guide and then crosslink from/to Empathy help...

> So I think the big thing I'm taking away from this is
> that the current account management guide section on
> the root guide is off.  It contains pages from three
> of those stacks: accounts, status, and contacts.  The
> big thing to me is she put the contacts stack next to
> the conversations stack, not the accounts stack.  It
> might be OK to leave accounts and status together.

> I'm interested to hear others' thoughts on this.

I think it really make sense to move the accounts related topics into
a separate section.

I'm no sure about grouping the conversations topics altogether though,
text and audio/video. They are conversations after all, but totally
different ones, it's a different user experience...

--
Milo Casagrande <milo casagrande name>