Re: yelp performance (Re: Successor to DocBook)

On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 18:41 +0100, Don Scorgie wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 09:53 +0200, Karl Eichwalder wrote:
> > Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> writes:
> <snip>
> >
> > But not again during the scrollkeeper registration time ;)  "make
> > distcheck" is good enough, but developers have to get used to this
> > target.
>
> There should be a fundamental rule of GNOME that a package must pass a
> make distcheck before it can be considered for distribution.  If
> something doesn't pass, it should be considered a bug, a report filed
> and an older package used.

Every single piece of maintainer documentation I know of says
to build your tarballs with distcheck.  I don't roll tarballs
with the dist target, and neither should anybody else.

On multiple occasions, I've found non-valid DocBook files in
rolled tarballs.  So clearly, there are people making tarballs
with just dist.  Maybe the release team should run distcheck,
and refuse tarballs (loudly and publicly, on d-d-l) that don't
pass.

--
Shaun