Re: yelp performance (Re: Successor to DocBook)

On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 07:45 +0200, Karl Eichwalder wrote:
> Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> writes:
>
> > Maybe I'm wrong.  I'm not removing DocBook
> > support from Yelp, and I'm not strong-arming
> > anybody.  I rarely use my purported power to
> > force anything.  Writers are ultimately free
> > to tell me I'm off my rocker.
>
> I tried to read the SUSE Linux documentation (1000 pages and a bit more)
> in the XML format with yelp.  I took several minutes until yelp was
> ready with formatting and diplayed it for reading.  This is too long and
> we resorted to preformatted HTML files.

We've actively worked on performance before, and
we're doing it again.  Each time that we've sat
down and made a concerted effort, we've managed
to get pretty insanely good speed improvements.
Brent recently committed some code that should
have a noticeable impact.

I can tell you that most of the worst bottlenecks
are caused by complexities inherant in DocBook.
For instance, converting CALS tables to HTML is
pretty insane in XSLT.  Automatic numbering takes
its toll.  Getting internationalization right is
a speed bump.

Is that documentation available somewhere so we
could test Yelp against it?

--
Shaun