Re: yelp performance (Re: Successor to DocBook)

Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> writes:

> We've actively worked on performance before, and
> we're doing it again.  Each time that we've sat
> down and made a concerted effort, we've managed
> to get pretty insanely good speed improvements.
> Brent recently committed some code that should
> have a noticeable impact.

Yes, I just read the announcement.  Nicely promissing!

> I can tell you that most of the worst bottlenecks
> are caused by complexities inherant in DocBook.
> For instance, converting CALS tables to HTML is
> pretty insane in XSLT.  Automatic numbering takes
> its toll.  Getting internationalization right is
> a speed bump.

That's why I recommend not to feed untouched XML files into the help
system.  XML is okay, but transformed for better performance.  Also
there should no need for yelp to validate the files (I'm not sure
whether it actually does validation); validation should happen at
installation time.

> Is that documentation available somewhere so we
> could test Yelp against it?

Find an XML file without picture here (it's a "set" and you probably
must exchange the DOCTYPE declaration):
http://www.suse.de/~ke/slprof-101-bigfile.xml.bz2

The pictures and HTML:
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/SL-10.1/inst-source/suse/noarch/suselinux-manual_en-10.1-19.noarch.rpm

Sources:
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/SL-10.1/inst-source/suse/src/suselinux-manual_en-10.1-19.src.rpm

--
Karl Eichwalder
R&D / Documentation                         SUSE Linux Products GmbH

Key fingerprint = B2A3 AF2F CFC8 40B1 67EA  475A 5903 A21B 06EB 882E