Re: Gnome and Ubuntu UGs (Was: string freeze?)

Hi,

* Joachim Noreiko:
> --- Matthew East <mdke ubuntu com> wrote:
>
>> The same would be true of any license which has a
>> share-alike provision
>> - - you can't take a document and insert it into
>> another document which
>> has a different license to the first one.
>
> So... it's more to do with Ubuntu Docs team choosing a
> different licence to ours. But presumably that
> happened because the GFDL didn't satisfy your needs?

Well, I don't think it was this carefully reasoned. We liked another
license.

>> Just to return to my original question briefly, what
>> would be
>> (approximately) a good time to do the fork that I've
>> mentioned above?
>> I.e. when will the doc be relatively stable?
>
> You can get a list of open bugs on the User Guide from
> this page:
> http://bugzilla.gnome.org/browse.cgi?product=gnome-user-docs
>
> These are mostly small fixes. Give me a date you'd
> like and I'll knuckle down and take care of them. It
> was optimistic of me to label some 'gnome-love' and
> hope we'd get some new contributors to take them.

Heh - asap? ;) When do you think is realistic?

> PS. While you're here -- how have you managed to
> recruit writers to the Ubuntu docs project?

To be honest, the number of people working regularly on the Ubuntu docs
project isn't enormous. But there is quite a vibrant community driven
documentation website, and people tend to feed down from that into the
system docs.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/

We're making a conscious effort to bring the work produced in that
community as close as possible to the system documentation. That's why
I'm so keen to explore wiki<->docbook tools and I feel that Mallard
should make provision for this to happen.

Also, Ubuntu as a project tends to be more prominent than Gnome, as far
as its own users looking to contribute are concerned.

I'm personally very keen to have as much collaboration as possible
between distribution docs projects and upstream docs projects.