Re: Announcing omfgen 0.0

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 01:28:48PM -0600, Kevin Breit wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-01-25 at 11:15, Mark Levitt wrote:
> > OK, I know I've come to the party late, but can someone explain what omfgen
> > is for?  :)
>
> Ya know in Nautilus, how there is the Help tab?  That tree is generated
> using OMF files with Scrollkeeper.  It's a very nifty set of scripts and
> stuff like that.  I like it a lot.  The problem?  VERY few people know
> how to use it well.  That is why there aren't many applications that are
> sorted in the tree.
>
> I realized this was a large problem and decided to write omfgen.  omfgen
> will take a couple of command line arguments, and output your .omf file,
> Makefile.am, and break them up into directories (only available to me at
> this point in time, need a new release).  This way, a writer doesn't
> really need to know much about Makefiles or OMF to get their stuff in
> the tree.

You are also welcome to look at db2omf, in the LDP cvs. It writes an
omf file from a DocBook file. I don't know how much that overlaps with
your work. Apparently you have Gnome-specific knowledge built into
omfgen. But anyway, fwiw.

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   david lupercalia net

If one company dominates everything, it's dangerous. You kill innovation and
you lose the capacity to create alternatives. Ultimately, that isn't good
for the consumer or the country.
	--Samuel Miller, U.S. Justice Department