Re: GDP GNOME 2 release team minutes

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 07:11:06PM -0600, Kevin Conder wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 gnome-doc-list-request gnome org wrote:
>
> > From: John Fleck <jfleck inkstain net>
> >
> > Minutes of the GDP GNOME 2 Release Team, Jan. 19, 02
>
> 	What is this team? How does one get on this team? Who are these
> people? What companies do they work for? Which tasks are they each
> responsible for?
>
> 	Where did this meeting take place? Was this a face-to-face meeting
> or did it happen on the #docs IRC channel? How come no information (that I
> was aware of) about it was posted on developer.gnome.org?

Don't be so pissy, Kevin.

I arranged the meeting. I am the GDP's representative on the GNOME 2
Release Team, and I'm trying to coordinate a lot of work being done by
all these people to get the docs done on time. I asked the people who
are doing the work to get together for an hour on IRC so we could
figure out where we're at.

Want to do some work too? Repeat after me: "Hey, my name's Kevin, I'd like
to get involved. Anything I can do to help?"

That's how pretty much everyone workng on the project got
involved. They also follow the mailing list, where I've frequently of
late posted missives asking for volunteers to take care of key tasks
that need to get done. (It hasn't been real successful, but I keep
trying!)

> > * Status of docs build and conversion to XML for the various packages
> >
> >   - We're mostly nowhere here. gnome-utils has been converted,
> >     gnome-core is underway. Trevor said gnome-applets is under control
> >     and will be ready in time. No one has stepped forward to take
> >     charge of gnome-games.
>
> 	How can we [people not at the meeting] know the current status of
> this conversion? CVS diffs? Or do you just communicate these matters to
> each other in clandestine meetings by word of mouth?

Ask? "Hey, my name's Kevin, I'd like to help. What's the status of the
conversion of the docs in gnome-foo? Anything I can do to help?"

> 	Why don't you keep DocTable updated?

Why don't *you* keep the DocTable updated? The last time (the last two
times, in fact) we asked (on gnome-doc-list) for a volunteer neither you
nor anyone else stepped forward to do it. So it didn't get
done. That's the way things work on a free software project
sometimes.

> Why don't you post status
> reports to developer.gnome.org more frequently? To someone not in your
> clique, it's hard to understand what's going on. (Much less figure how to
> get involved.)

There's no clique here, just a bunch of people busting their asses
trying to get the docs stuff done for GNOME 2. There's no secret
decoder ring or masonic rituals (well, except for getting the DocBook
stuff set up - maybe that's our masonic ritual :-). People who want to
help do.

We're a pretty friendly bunch. Drop by #docs and say "hi". What would
you like to do to help?

Cheers,

John